The Basildon Homeless Families is based in Arne Court in Laindon offering support to single people, couples and families who are experiencing homelessness.

Where we can help

Laindon, Essex

Who we support

Older people, Young people, Mental Health, Learning Disabilities, Physical Disabilities

About the service

The Arne Court site comprises of 10 self-contained flats and 7 self-contained bungalows plus 19 hostel rooms with a combination of family and single accommodation for people aged 16 and over.

Three of the bungalows at Arne Court have been adapted to meet the needs of people with mobility issues. They are equipped with low level worktops, which can be lowered or raised as required, and walk in shower facilities within the units.

The service is very short term, lasting from 4 weeks to 6 months, with customers normally staying until the council can assess your application for re-housing.

During your time with the service, we can support you with a wide range of areas such as:

  • Maintaining your tenancy
  • Applying for benefits and dealing with appeals
  • Advice on move on options, housing applications and tenancy information
  • Linking in with GPs, dentists and other relevant health care professionals
  • Referrals to other agencies where necessary such as Community Mental Health services, drug and alcohol services, sexual health, children’s legal services, solicitors, Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Managing arrears, debt and budgeting
  • Education, training and work
  • General advice and guidance

You will have a support plan that reflects your support needs and aspirations. Support workers regularly review these plans with you to ensure that they still reflect your needs.

Staff are on site at Arne Court 24 hours a day offering a high level of support to customers until they feel they are able to manage more independently.

Confidentiality is of outmost importance in this service as very vulnerable people stay with us, such as those fleeing violence. We also sign post to local agencies for support in different areas of need, if required.

If you are accepted for independent housing in the local area, support can be offered to apply for the essential living fund to help furnish the property. If necessary, a referral can also be made to our floating support service for additional support with the move onto independence.


Referral is via Basildon Council only. Applicants need to complete an online application prior to being contacted to establish the best route for their situation.

Contact Details