Mersea Road is a specialist supported housing scheme that supports eight young people preparing to leave or having recently left the care of social services.
The scheme is located close to Colchester town centre and consists of six self contained flats, four single and two shared. Each customer has a support worker who meets with you on a weekly basis and supports you in a range of different areas such as:
- Maintaining your tenancy
- Applying for benefits and dealing with appeals
- Advice on move on options, housing applications and tenancy information
- Linking in with GPs, dentists and other relevant health care professionals
- Signposting and referrals to other agencies where necessary such as Community Mental Health services, drug and alcohol services, sexual health, children’s legal services, solicitors, Citizens Advice Bureau
- Managing arrears, debt and budgeting
- Education, training and work
- General advice and guidance
Every customer has a support plan that reflects your support needs and aspirations. Support workers regularly review your plan with you to make sure that it still reflects your needs.
The scheme is staffed 24 hours a day. You can stay at the scheme for up to two years after which you are supported to move on to live independently in the local community.
Referrals can only be made by, or with approval from, one of the four Leaving and After Care Teams in Essex.